If you store your files on a USB flash drive, you can update them and share them with others using any computer, anywhere. This is why many organizations decline to take the USB ports off their employees’ computers, even though USB flash drives are responsible for many data breaches. As long as an organization continues to allow employees to use USBs, however, these flash drives should be vigorously managed in terms of information security.
Think about an unintended data breach caused, for example, by a lost USB flash drive storing electronic personal health information. Perhaps encrypting USB flash drives can be enough to prevent unauthorized access to the data on them. Consider the Snowden Case, in which an insider maliciously moved an organization’s sensitive data to a USB flash drive in order to hand it over to an improper person. To avoid such cases, you must adopt copy-protected USB flash drives that allow an administrator to manage users’ rights for copy, network transfer, print, and screen capture.
Secudrive USB Management Server makes it possible for an organization to remotely manage scattered USB flash drives to prevent data leakage, either as a result of employees’ malicious intentions or by mistake. Its major features are as follows:
- Asset management: USB flash drives can be registered. All information on flash drives, such as the USB type, user, group, security policy, and serial number, can be viewed.
- Password management: It is possible to set rules for passwords, including minimum length, a minimum number of digits and upper-case letters, and maximum failed trials. Flash drives can be locked, and data in them can be destroyed when the maximum number of trials is exceeded.
- Usage management: A USB flash drive can be used only with pre-authorized computers. It is possible to manage usage expiration date, a maximum number of logins, a maximum idle time before log out, usage policy when offline, and other settings.
- Digital rights management(DRM): It is possible to manage users’ rights to copy, print, screen capture, and network transfer. Compatible applications and accessible networks (IP, port, and URL) can be whitelisted. It is possible to prevent the creation of autorun.inf.
- File management: Maximum file activity log size can be set. Files imported from and exported to other devices can be encrypted and backed up. Files with particular extensions can be blocked or allowed. Files can be distributed to USB flash drives remotely.
- Log management: It is possible to monitor detailed usage logs such as IP access, access time, and file activities (create, view, modify, save, copy, print, network transfer, screen capture, and delete).
Secudrive USB Management Server is compatible with Secudrive USB Basic+, Secudrive USB Office+, and Secudrive USB CAD+. Secudrive USB Basic+ is a hardware-encrypted USB flash drive with an encryption chip that does not support DRM-related features. Secudrive USB Office+ and Secudrive USB CAD+ are also hardware-encrypted USB flash drives to which DRM features have been added. Secudrive USB Office+ prevents data leakage from business files such as Microsoft Office files, whereas Secudrive USB CAD+ does the same for CAD files such as those from AutoCAD and CATIA.
Organizations have their reasons for using USB flash drives. Secudrive USB Management Server makes it possible to remotely manage them to prevent data breaches of every kind.